Today, the Club for Growth sent out the following press release . . .
Lynn Jenkins—Addicted to Tax Hikes
Washington - Lynn Jenkins did such a good job of raising taxes for hardworking Kansans as a Kansas State Legislator, now she wants to move up to the United States Congress where she can raise taxes on all Americans.
As the former State Legislator and current State Treasurer prepares to announce her candidacy for Democrat Nancy Boyda’s 2nd Congressional District seat, Kansas Republicans should take a close look at Jenkins’ record and ask themselves if they want to nominate a proven tax-hiker. As the Beatles once warned, “Don’t ask her what she wants it for, if you don’t want to pay some more.” Consider her record:
· Jenkins voted to raise the state sales tax by 8% (HB 2009, 2002)
· Jenkins voted to expand the Death Tax to family members outside the immediate family (SB 39, 2002)
· Jenkins voted to increase fuel taxes by more than 38% over four years (HB 2071, 1999; HB 2507, 2001; HB 3011, 2002)
· Jenkins voted to increase state income taxes by 5% (Topeka Capital-Journal, 04/12/02)
· Jenkins voted against decreasing state property taxes by $1 million (SB 69, 2001)
· Jenkins voted to increase taxes on insurance premiums (HB 2065, 2001)
· Jenkins voted to increase taxes on tobacco by 270% (Topeka Capital-Journal, 04/12/02)
· Jenkins voted for an $18.1 million increase in alcohol taxes (Topeka Capital-Journal, 04/12/02)
· Jenkins voted for a total of $335 million in higher taxes in 2002 (Topeka Capital-Journal, 04/12/02) and a total of $31.4 million in higher taxes in 2001 (Topeka-Capital-Journal, 05/05/01)
· Jenkins supported taxing the Internet (Project Vote Smart, 2000)
· Jenkins refused to sign a pledge against new taxes. ( Kansas Taxpayers Network)
“Lynn Jenkins’ record in Kansas is a litany of one tax hike after another, I’m surprised she hasn’t voted to tax people in Kansas for breathing,” said Club for Growth President Pat Toomey. “Given her record in Kansas , Americans can’t afford to have Lynn Jenkins in Congress. The U.S. Congress has plenty of tax-hiking politicians; it doesn’t need another one.”
[Update: 2:13pm Red State has picked up on this Club for Growth release]
[Update: 11:31pm A reader charged that this blog was not running any pro-Jenkins materials. Despite the fact that the Club for Growth press release was simply offered "as is," with no commentary from this blog, reader opinions are valued. The anonymous reader offered quotes from a KC Biz Journal editorial praising the job she's done as Treasurer as a rebuttal to the above press release.
First, a suggestion for anyone who believes items regarding the race to defeat Boyda should appear here is to please use the e-mail provided on the home page to raise my awareness.
And, now the quotes, promoted from the comments to the home page:
"I found her contribution absolutely invaluable. She is bright, innovative and thoughtful. Her two decades as a CPA serve her well."
"Lynn Jenkins is the consummate professional public servant. She served in the Legislature, and she combines that experience with that of a CPA to be the best Kansas state treasurer in modern history" ]
Dedicated to the proposition that Nancy Boyda is a one termer.